I moved to Mindanao several years back where I eventually met my future husband. However, it was just months back when I had the opportunity to explore the beauty of Surigao del Sur, one of the five provinces of Region 13 (also known as Caraga region) along with Agusan del Norte where my husband and I presently reside, specifically in Butuan City.
We explored Surigao del Sur with friends which made it more fun and memorable. We traveled as a group: our friend Alice (who also blogs with me on this site) and her hubby Geoff, our friend Gloria, the hubby and me. Alice and Geoff flew in from Manila while Glo flew in from Cebu. Credit goes to Alice for initiating plans for this trip. We began our trip to Surigao del Sur from Butuan City.
Here are the 3 places you must see and explore in Surigao del Sur:
1. Enchanted River. The river is simply beautiful and called enchanted for a reason. But I must warn you that visiting it during weekends and holidays will mean sharing its beauty to a large crowd and sometimes, REALLY huge crowds of people. So go there during weekdays as much as possible and go early. Take a cool dip in the river and bring your swimming goggles to see the world beneath the river 🙂 Enchanted River is located in Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur.
2. Tinuy-an Falls. Also referred to as the little Niagara Falls of the Philippines, Tinuy-an Falls is said to be the widest waterfall in the Philippines at 95 meters wide and 55 meters high. It has several levels and looks magnificent especially during the rainy and latter months of the year. You can also take a dip here and even ride a raft to go much nearer to the falls. Tinuy-an Falls is located in Bislig City, Surigao del Sur.
3. Britania Group of Islands. Enjoy powdery white sand and the sea’s beautiful shades of blue in this part of the Philippines. If you plan to eat lunch or meals in the islands, have them cooked before going there. Better yet, just bring snacks or eat before going and just enjoy some cool swimming time there. Go early to escape the sun’s stinging heat. The islands are located in San Agustin, Surigao del Sur.
- We took a day to visit Enchanted River and Tinuy-an Falls including travel time from Butuan City. Leave early if you are coming from Butuan City like us. Leave by 5-6 am so you can make the most of your time at the Enchanted River and then in Tinuy-an.
- We stayed overnight at La Entrada Resort and left for Britania group of islands in the morning by motorized boat or banca. The resort is quite basic, don’t expect anything fancy. Water is also a problem in the area, by the way.
- It is convenient to bring your own car or rent a van if you come in a group of more than 3 people, travelling from Butuan. Otherwise, be ready for bus rides and habal-habal rides.
- Cebu Pacific has flights from Manila to Butuan as well as from Manila to Tandag, Surigao del Sur. It also has flights from Cebu to Butuan as well as from Cebu to Tandag, Surigao del Sur.
*Photos from Alice, Daryl and Rutchel